Sunday 2 December 2018

My Top 15 Christmas Songs

So for Blogmas Day 2, I wanted to do my top 10 favourite songs of the festive season, but very quickly realised that I just couldn't narrow it down. There were still a few songs that I just had to have on my list, and thus this blog post is born.

I absolutely adore Christmas music, and always try to sneakily play it as early as possible. There's just something about a Christmas song, any Christmas song, that makes me feel instantly happy and full of love. The classics make me feel super nostalgic, and the modern songs just make me want to dance around the kitchen with a Santa hat and lots of tinsel wrapped around me. 

So without further ado, and in no particular order, here are my top 15 favourite songs, from the slow and peaceful, to the party sing alongs.

Fairytale Of New York by The Pogues


An absolute classic, everybody knows the words to this banger of a Christmas tune! Ya scumbag, ya maggot, ya cheap lousy faggot! Happy Christmas your arse, I thank God it's our last!

Baby It's Cold Outside by Tom Jones & Cerys Matthews


Although the lyrics in this song are somewhat problematic (take no for an answer, will you?), it is a classic, and so incredibly catchy and fun to sing. Just another victim of it's time, I suppose. But hey, Cerys Matthews traps Tom Jones in a cage at the end, so who's complaining?

Santa Tell Me by Ariana Grande


One of the modern Christmas songs in my festive playlist, Ariana's voice along with the wonderful music make for, what I think will be, an instant classic. Belt it, Ariana!

1 More Sleep by Leona Lewis

 

Another modern one, Leona Lewis really captures the magic of the Christmas countdown, and the excitement of seeing your loved ones, in this adorable Christmas tune.

A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris De Burgh


Probably one of my all-time favourites, this song tells the story of the Nativity, with a slight twist. It is a beautiful melody, and really quite powerful for a mellow song. I absolutely love it.

Wonderful Christmas Time by Paul McCartney


Everybody knows this. A simple classic. Need I say more?

Driving Home For Christmas by Chris Rea


Another of my firm favourites, this song is all about that final drive home to see friends and family at Christmas time. This song just makes me want to give my family a cuddle, to be honest.

Mistletoe by Justin Bieber


Although I'm not the biggest fan of JB, he really did do well with this one. Really catchy, simple, and warming. Again, an instant classic. 

Dominick the Donkey by Lou Monte


My brother showed us this song last Christmas, and we just couldn't stop laughing. A really funny, silly, feel-good Christmas song that is definitely lesser known. 

I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas by Gayla Peevey


I found this song years ago when I was trawling through Christmas music on Youtube, and just randomly came upon it. 
I loved it instantly. My family hate it. I play it anyway.

Last Christmas by Wham!


Wham! They really did earn that exclamation mark. Lovely video, beautiful song (hello over the top dance moves), and lots of incredible covers of this one too. I especially like the Cascada cover.

Stop the Cavalry by Jona Lewie


All about wanting to go home for Christmas during WW1, this song really hits home for a lot of people. I simply love it as it has been one that my family have listened to and loved for as long as I can remember. Kinda makes you feel patriotic, kinda makes you wanna squish the patriachy. Did you know that during WW1, the British and the German troops stopped fighting on Christmas Day, and played a game of football with each other. Nobody wants to fight a war at Christmas time. (Did you also know, all of the British soldiers that played that game of football were shot for treason. England needs to lighten up!)

Sleigh Ride by F.U.N


Although this isn't the original version of this song, I just find this cover so much more fun (haha). Super jolly and full of happiness!

Candy Cane Lane by Sia


My last modern song in my Christmas playlist, Candy Cane Lane is ridiculously catchy and really fun to sing. Sia brought out a whole Christmas album, but I haven't actually gotten around to listening to all of the songs yet!

Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby and David Bowie


Ah, David Bowie. What a gorgeous voice you have, Sir. The most simple Christmas songs are always the best.

What's on your Christmas playlist this year? Are there any songs on my playlist that you haven't heard before? Which ones?
Let me know, and I'll see you tomorrow for Blogmas Day 3!

Ciao for now, 
Katie x

No comments:

Post a Comment