Saturday 5 March 2016

Deliciousness

So I think this is probably the first proper restaurant review I've ever done! That's cool. 

So, anyway, my ever-so-kind father decided to treat my two brothers and I to a meal out yesterday. All dad said was "You guys have never been there, but I have, and it's really nice" or something to that effect. In any case, he wouldn't tell us where we were going so us children were quite excited. Because surprises are cool.
My brothers and I were pleasantly surprised to turn up at Gwel an Mor, a 5 star resort in Portreath (in Cornwall...where I live...). Super fancy shmancy. 



The restaurant is called The Terrace. It's quite a small little place, with perhaps 20 tables or so, and it's decorated with warm fairy lights, large windows, and modern decor - quite impressive for a first date perhaps? The whole set up was really cosy, totally my type of place. 



We were greeted by a very welcoming waiter, who just so happened to be the waiter at my dad's wedding in 2014, which was really awesome because we all got long over the course of wedding plans, rehearsals, and the actual doo dah! So just a little shoutout to Anthony for being an awesome waiter and just an awesome person to talk to. We also had a waitress for the evening too, and oh my god, SHE WAS SO LOVELY!

Anyway, I'm rambling.

We sit down, I take a look at the menu, and huzzah! Fancy deliciousness! There were many starters to choose from, with myself and my brother Chris opting for the Game Salad with Venison, Rabbit, and Pigeon (with walnuts, celeriac roulade and pear shavings...fancy!). My other brother, Jamie, had bread with olive oil and olives, even though he didn't eat the olives, and my dad had some sort of bread with chicken pate and chutney concoction. I do believe everyone was thoroughly impressed. 

See, they're so happy!

The meal was absolutely delicious, really gorgeous flavours. I had never had pigeon or rabbit before, but I'll damn sure have it again after that enormous taste explosion. Everything just tasted so nice together. Unfortunately, I had to leave the walnuts because braces make eating hard. 



For the main course, I was tossed up between the Gnocci and the Piri Piri Chicken. Both just sounded so mouth-wateringly good! I ended up choosing the Piri Piri Chicken with frites and coleslaw (with an extra side salad because I like salad), simply because I have Gnocci a lot at home. But I was certainly not disappointed. The frites were perfectly golden and crispy, the chicken was tender and juicy, packed full of delicious piri piri flavour. MMM. 



For dessert I had the Chocolate Marquise with a Espresso Creme Anglaise with Mint Crisp sauce. Oh my god. So damn creamy! Definitely a comfort dessert, the marquise itself was very rich and smooth, and having mint and espresso felt very grown up. Oo arr. 



All in all, the food was phenomenal and I will definitely be going back. I loved everything about The Terrace; the decor, the food, the waiters, even the super soft marshmallows they put in my hot chocolate! 

I hope you enjoyed this little review and I'll see you soon!

Katie xo

No comments:

Post a Comment