Tuesday 28 April 2015

Simple Summer Things

Afternoon lovelies!

So today, as I thought it was so lovely outside, and my arm is literally burning from the sun coming in through my window, I'd do a summer themed post. 

Source: google images


Now, I am very much a summer person, for the most part (cannot do bugs). I love having time away from school to just take a breather and chill, and I think it's always really amazing to go back to school in September and see how everyone has changed - some people got their hair cut, some people lost weight, some people got piercings and all sorts of other things. But have you ever had loads of fun in the first week of the summer holidays, and then was completely bored for the rest of the time, and when it got to late August/early September you thought "what on earth have I been doing?!"
Well. I didn't even have a fun first week, I skipped straight to bored.

So this post is basically some ideas for you guys to try out over the summer, to keep yourselves active and as human as possible (nobody likes being a potato all summer) and also some little tips to keep you happy.


Source: google images
.
Things to do:

  • Get a summer job
    Now this one probably doesn't sound all that fun, but when you get your pay check and realise that you FINALLY have some money to buy those shoes you really wanted, or go to the cinema with your friend, it will definitely be worth it. Plus, it means there's always something to do when you don't have any plans. Practically everywhere hires people as summer temps from as early as April, so get in there!
  • Learn a random skill
    This one can be as personal as you want it to be. Look up tutorials on how to moonwalk, juggle, yodel, whatever takes your fancy. My skill for this summer will be perfecting winged eyeliner and learning how to use Photoshop properly.
  • Take up a new hobby
    When I was in the middle of my last year of secondary school, I decided that I really wanted to study Photography at college, and I worked really hard to get the grades I needed, as I hadn't done Photography at GCSE. I definitely see photography as more of a hobby than a qualification, purely because I love it so much. I've recently completed my photography AS so I don't have to do it again until September, so college is a little more boring now, but I will be spending my entire summer taking photos. You can take up a hobby in literally anything. I want to start painting, and blogging lots throughout the summer.
  • Go to the beach
    I know not everybody likes the beach (sand in my hair is a massive no) and not everybody is lucky enough to live near the beach like I am, but for those of you who do, grab your favourite book, your best friend, a couple of quid for some ice cream, and just spend the afternoon lazing about on the sand. Make sure you take a really good sun cream though! I step outside for 5 minutes with no sun cream on and end up looking like a wrinkly tomato. Ouchie.
  • Make a summer time capsuleIt's so easy to forget some of the amazing things you do over the summer, so decorate a pretty little box and put mementos in it. Take lots of pictures and put them in, write little notes about what you did, keep receipts and cinema tickets, anything with a good story behind it. Then, shove it in your attic or at the back of your bed, and take a look at it next summer, or in 5 years time. You'll be amazed at how easily everything comes flooding back to you.
  • Rearrange your room
    If, one day, it's not as lovely as you thought it was going to be, or your friends cancel on plans, then take the day to change things up a bit. It is so refreshing to move things around every now and again. You don't have to move your furniture around if that's too much work for a lazy day, but even just tidying up your dressing table or rearranging your wardrobe can make such a difference!

    Source: google images

Simple Tricks
  • Keep a lip balm handy
    Chapped lips are usually really common in winter when there is a lot of cold air hitting your face, but the sun and the heat can dry them out too. Make sure you have a really moisturising lip balm handy all the time. I just have a cheap tea tree one from Tesco, but Carmex and Baby Lips are really good too. Invent in a good one, you only get one set of lips.
  • Don't be a potato
    It's so easy to fall into the trap of doing nothing all day, especially when it's 1000 degrees outside and you don't have any money. But this often leads to not seeing your friends or not talking to anyone for ages, and when you go back to school in September, you'll have missed out of loads.
  • Keep hydrated
    I am one of those people who will go days without drinking anything and not think anything of it. DON'T DO THIS. As well as keeping you healthy and flushing you of toxins, water keeps your skin looking gorgeous and helps prevent things like headaches, which are really common in summer.
  • Don't be embarrassed
    Summer is all about having fun and being as happy as possible. So don't let anything hold you back. I would never wear a swimming costume to the beach because I hated my body, but there was no reason for me to. I am beautiful, and you guys are too. So own your body and love the skin you're in.
  • Wear sun cream
    It is so so so important to protect your skin. Even though the sun gives you essential healthy vitamins, it is also extremely dangerous if you don't protect yourself. I'm all for showing your skin in the summer and getting a tan, but I don't really want to burn or get skin cancer. Invent in a sun cream with a really high SPF, even if you think you don't burn easily, and make sure you apply it multiple times throughout the day if you're outside. Most foundations and face products have a small SPF in them, so try and go for those if your regular foundation doesn't protect.
  • Have fun!
    This is so ridiculously cliché, but it's so true. As you get older, you'll realise how lucky you were to get such long summers away from school. Unless you're extremely lucky, you'll have to work throughout the year when you're older, so you really need to treasure the time off you've been given, and be as productive as possible so you don't have any regrets later on. 'Carpe diem' and all that.

So that's it for this post. I'm going to leave you with one of my favourite songs that really gets me in a summery mood, and I hope I helped!




See you soon!
Katie xo

No comments:

Post a Comment